Last night was the 12th Teddy Bear Toss night that the Seattle Thunderbirds have had. In honor of that, a quick look back at all the teddy bear goals scored in those games.
Listed below are all the Teddy Bear Toss nights that have occurred. Included are the goal scorers, the final score and what the score was as a result of the goal.
(at ShoWare Center)
- January 24, 2015 – D Jared Hauf at 5:50 of the first period in a 4-3 overtime loss vs Portland. Tied game at 1.
- January 25, 2014 – D Shea Theodore at :24 of the second period, on the power play, in a 4-3 overtime win vs Everett. Seattle leads 1-0.
- January 19, 2013 – F Roberts Lipsbergs at 12:40 of the first period in a 4-3 win vs Portland. Tied game at 1.
- January 28, 2012 – F Connor Honey at 13:40 of the first period in a 8-3 loss vs Portland. Portland leads 3-1.
- January 29, 2011 – F Travis Toomey at 9:16 of the first period, on the power play, in a 5-2 loss vs Portland. Seattle leads 1-0.
- January 23, 2010 – F Prab Rai at 5:44 of the second period, on the power play, in a 6-1 loss vs Portland. Portland leads 2-1.
- January 17, 2009 – F Jim O’Brien at 1:57 of the second period in a 3-1 win vs Everett. Seattle leads 1-0.
- February 9, 2008 – F Prab Rai at 1:08 of the second period in a 3-0 win vs Portland. Seattle leads 1-0
- February 3, 2007 – F David Richard at 3:29 of the first period, on the power play, in a 5-2 loss vs Portland. Seattle leads 1-0
- February 11, 2006 – F Chris Durand at 4:12 of the second period in a 6-2 win vs Portland. Tied game at 1.
- February 26, 2005 – F Tyler Metcalfe at 11:28 of the second period in a 1-1 tie vs Portland. Seattle leads 1-0
- February 28, 2004 – F Aaron Gagnon at 6:48 of the first period, short-handed, in 4-2 loss vs Vancouver. Seattle leads 1-0.
Notes about some of those games:
Connor Honey’s goal in 2012 was not only the teddy bear goal, it was also his first career WHL goal.
Jim O’Brien’s goal in 2009 marked the first teddy bears tossed at ShoWare Center.
The 2008 game was the only time the TBirds have shut out an opponent on Teddy Bear Toss night. Jacob DeSerres made 22 saves to hold Portland scoreless.
Aaron Gagnon’s goal in 2004, the first ever Teddy Bear Toss night in Seattle, is the only teddy bear goal so far to be scored short-handed.
By the numbers:
Goals by position: Defense 2 Forward 10
Goals by period: 1st 6 2nd 6 3rd 0
Playing strength: PP 4 SH 1 ES 7
Record overall: 5-5-1-0 and 1 tie
Record by opponent: Portland 3-4-1 and 1 tie Everett 2-0 Vancouver 0-1
Fastest goal: 2007 3:29 of playing time
Latest goal: 2005 31:28 of playing time
(This post contains information collected from Seattle Thunderbirds press releases and the Seattle Times newspaper. This post also corrects a tweet from 1/24/15 that named James McEwan the goal scorer in 2006.)